Pest Prevention Tips:
- Exclude pests by sealing up cracks and gaps around your home’s exterior. (Check around the foundation, pipes/wires entering the siding, under the eaves, and around windows and doors).
- Replace old or damaged weather-stripping & door sweeps to ensure a good seal.
- Do not leave uncovered food sitting out.
- Never allow pet food to sit overnight as this is an immediate attractant to pests.
- Maintain a clutter free yard; eliminate debris such as piles of wood, stones, bricks or any other loose material. These debris piles provide excellent harborage for many pests.
- Keep shrubs and trees pruned 8-12 inches away from the home and up from the ground to discourage pest nesting and to remove easy access to walls and windows.
- Use plants that naturally repel pests like marigolds, rosemary, and lavender. (Check with your local plant nursery or search online organic gardening websites to learn more).
- When you are landscaping, avoid materials that may break down (wood), or that provide lots of nooks and crannies where pests will be able to harbor, and remember to locate large plants and trees based on their adult size, not where they look good when first planted.