However, this is of little importance when considering wild bees establishing hives on your home.
Chambers Pest Solutions recommends the following to prevent bees taking up residence around your house:
- Plug up wall cavities with spray foam insulation and caulking
- Cover vents with bug screen
- Remove organic debris from the garden
- Hang mothballs in socks around the house exterior
- Wipe down the outside of the house with diesel every 10-15 days
There are two reasons for deterring bees. Bee stings and property damage. Usually, bee stings only cause a painful, temporary reaction – however, if the person is allergic one sting can be fatal. Hives also cause costly damage to the exterior of your home – requiring repainting etc.
Do you suspect your house is at risk of bees? We maintain a pest-free environment for our clients with our Integrated Pest Management Program. We determine what is attracting the bees, and put together a plan to prevent these pests moving in.
Give us a call – we’d love to have a chat about any bee-related questions you have!